Saturday 24 January 2015

On good music and talking to ducks

With Son Number Two being a music student, we had booked tickets for a concert featuring Tommy Emmanuel. I have to admit I had not heard of him, but Son Number Two told me he was one of the best guitarists in the world, so why not? Last Thursday, we battled our way through cycling students in Cambridge and I did my best to look educated and guitar-savvy. We had pretty good seats, and I enjoyed some people-watching as the place filled up. We'd been to the Corn Exchange a few times, and it was strange to see the downstairs bit (sorry, I don't know theatre-speak) filled with seats rather than loads of sweaty 20-somethings jumping about and throwing plastic cups of beer. The tickets had said there was a support act, but not who it was. All that Son Number Two knew was that it was 'some Australian guy'. That guy turned out to be Anthony Snape who, in my opinion, was worth the ticket price himself. So, a good night with lots of music to be added to the 'to buy' list, and tickets to be bought when Anthony Snape returns later in the year. 

OU-wise, I have had the marks back for my last assignment. Feeling that I had taken huge liberties with the question, I was not expecting a good mark and shut my eyes as I clicked the link for my results. 50 would be acceptable, I thought, as long as I didn't get any sarcastic feedback (it wouldn't have been the first time). Less than that, and there could be tears. I got 86. I refreshed the page a couple of times and checked that a dirty computer screen wasn't turning a 3 into an 8, but no. So now it's on to the next one. Animism or the Scopes Trial? (Thanks go to Paul, for the book and film suggestions that helped me get my head around the Scopes Trial.) The chapter on animism started with a 'light-hearted quiz'; the first question being 'Have you ever sworn at your computer?' (Not personally, but the school's photocopier has taken a fair bit of verbal abuse.) 'Do you talk to animals?' it went on. Obviously not. Well, apart from the cats. And we did rescue two abandoned ducks which would quack back at you when you chatted to them. But I don't talk to animals in a Dr Doolittle kind of way. I have implored frogs to come back to life, after the cats have been playing with them, but that's different. 


Ducks... Can't live with 'em...


 Son Number One many years ago, with Duck 1

By the end of the quiz, I had answered 'yes' to an alarming amount of questions. I blame books. When you spend your childhood (and beyond) reading that rabbits can wear blue velvet jackets, that dormice sleep in teapots and that most wolves are on the side of the White Witch, there's no hope of believing in rational things. 

The next course book looks interesting - bring on the apocalypse! Not literally, you understand. I have things to do, and animals to talk to...

No comments:

Post a Comment