Sunday 11 January 2015

And on to Book 3

I made a good choice with this course on religion and controversy. Obviously, my feelings may change when I get the marks back for my assignment. Sadly, the news this week has been reinforcing just how many sides there are to 'religion' or what is done in the name of religion. The issue of religion vs. free speech was one that was covered in my assignment, and yet again, it's in the news in such a shocking and bloody horrible way. I suppose it's kind of good that I can understand such issues a bit better than I did? It does make me really sad, though, when some students on the course still show deliberate ignorance. They act in the way a couple of our Year 5 children have done: 'So, if you're a Muslim you kill people.' It seems the children I've spoken to are more open-minded and willing to listen, though. Oh well, 'haters are gonna hate', as Son Number One says to me (along with 'Stop living in your little rainbow-coloured world, Mother.')

So, onwards to Book 3 of the course, which is about controversial ideas: science, new atheism, cognitive theory of religion, and animism, followed by an assignment on either the Scopes Trial or debates on animism. Both look appealing for a change. I usually have to pick an option depending on which I hate least. Apparently, the assignment is 'double-weighted', which I think could also relate to me, post-Christmas. Actually, looking at the Scopes Trial stuff (I had never heard of it before now), it has highlighted my ignorance at how we'd teach the origins of life at the school where I work. We are a Church of England school, but children don't have to be church-goers to attend. Basically, we're just the nearest primary school for most of our pupils, with a handful coming from out of our catchment area because of our C of E status. I don't recall going into creation in any of our lessons, but I'd like to think we'd do it in a kind of science-y way, with a 'some people think this...' added, and let them make their own minds up, rather than forcing some kind of view on them. (It would only be an introduction, anyway, as it's more of a high school subject.) And then they could learn creation myths from all around the world, and if they like the idea of Chaos and Gaia, then fine. I love the stories of the Thunderbirds, myself (no, not the puppets...). 


Anyway, I should really be getting back to the subject, myself. Today, my target is to read:
  • Revolution and the rejection of Christianity
  • From persecution to 'culture wars'
  • Atheists and fundamentalists: the Scopes Trial
  • The 1960s and after: religious crisis and resurgence.
Sigh. Or I may just eat biscuits and finish Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

2 comments:

  1. Greetings and Happy New Year. The Scopes Trial is a fascinating subject not just of itself but as a microcosm of the various battles still going on in America, particularly in the South. It isn't simply religion vs atheists. It's religion vs. science; fundamental religion vs. "new" religion; Roman Catholic vs Roman Catholic Episcopalian vs. Episcopalian and states rights vs. federal authority. And in nearly every case the Constitution and the Founding Fathers are invoked.
    I read a book about the Scopes Trial a few years back called Summer For the Gods by Edward J. Larson. On a lighter note you might want to watch the movie Inherit the Wind which is based on the Scopes Trial.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Happy New Year to you, too. Thank you for the recommendations - I shall be heading over to Amazon shortly. You're right, I'm finding the whole subject fascinating!

      Delete