Sunday 13 April 2014

Reasons to be cheerful

And now I must stop the self-pity and get on with things...

The Husband and Sons went to the cinema yesterday to see Noah. Recovering from the most disgusting of colds, and feeling vaguely seasick due to blocked ears, I excused myself and settled down to watch several hours worth of House instead. (I had also read reviews which said the film was 'The Bible meets Mad Max', and that really didn't appeal.) Three episodes in, we had a power cut. Thanks to a new coffee machine, I was full of caffeine jitters, so decided to sort out the bookshelves. Although I would love to have my books in alphabetical order, I've not had that shelf space for years, so everything is piled up randomly. Through careful rearrangement, I now have space for another twenty or so books, and if that's not reason enough to be positive, I don't know what is. 

Another plus - the new OU course book has arrived. Rather disappointing that it's just the one book, but I've started reading and it's all written in plain English, thank goodness. 




The course is entitled 'Counselling: Exploring Fear and Sadness', (yes, yes, I know...) and brings in the history of psychotherapy as well as the different methods of counselling used today. And, yes, Freud. I have yet to take a course in which he doesn't make an appearance. I also have to decide upon my next course which will start in September, but which can be booked next month. I've decided against 20th Century Literature because I hated most of the set books. I think I may go for the one called 'Why is religion controversial?' but there's still time to change my mind half a dozen times yet. I've been asked if I'm interested in doing an RE course for school as well. It's three assignments plus a self-assessment, and I've kind of said yes. I really must stop doing that. I have a feeling that these things get passed around the staff room and everyone says, 'Nah... I don't want to do that,' and The Boss Lady thinks, 'I know someone who'll do it...'

What else? Son Number One was going camping in Wales with The Girlfriend and her family, but family politics have resulted in them both staying at home (her family, not ours. We don't do politics. We just drink too much and discuss conspiracy theories.). I'm am very selfishly glad they're not going, because that means we can have a proper family Easter. What with everything that's been going on, it will be good to get together (The Daughter's coming up from Cornwall) and talk rubbish. We have all been invited to my parents as usual, and will be able to show support to my dad without all the 'emotional crap' that he hates so much. In other words, we'll turn up, drink all of his wine, and the male members of the family will give him manly punches on the shoulder while he eyes the females worriedly in case they cry. 

And now I must peruse Amazon. I have bookshelf space to fill. 


No comments:

Post a Comment